How to Help Your Dog with Travel Anxiety
Travel anxiety for dogs can be caused from a lot of different things. It could be that they don’t know what is happening, they have negative associations with the car because they think they are going to the vet or groomer, or that you aren’t the best driver (kidding!!). Whatever the cause, we have a few tips, and two products that we think could significantly help you and your dog's travel anxiety.
Do Exercises to Help them Get Used to the Car
- In a non-moving vehicle, sit in the back of the car with your dog for a few minutes - pet them, give them a treat, and comfort them
- Repeat the exercise above every couple of days, and work on extending the time you spend in the car
- Continue to offer praise and affection, and include treats - if they can start to associate the car with food, it will decrease their anxiety
Take Short Trips to Fun Destinations
- If your dog’s anxiety with the car comes from them thinking a car ride = a vet visit, taking them on fun, short trips can help them to disassociate the car with negative emotions
- Consider driving to visit a dog park, or driving to go for a walk / hike
Bring Along Some of Their Favorite Things
- Bring a toy, or their favorite blanket on the trip
- Bonus points if the blanket smells like their best friend - YOU!
- These items can help to provide comfort, and a distraction for your anxious pup!
Try a ThunderShirt Calming Wrap
- A ThunderShirt applies constant, gentle pressure around a dog’s torso (like a hug!), in order to help them feel calm and safe
- The ThunderShirt is proven to be over 80% effective in reducing anxiety, with over a millions of dogs already helped!
Pair Your ThunderShirt with ThunderEase Calming Pheromone Spray
- ThunderEase helps your dog to feel calm and comfortable by mimicking a mother’s natural nursing pheromones
- Tested to be 90% effective for reducing signs of travel anxiety within 5 minutes of exposure
- We’ve seen great results if you combine the powers of calm, using both a ThunderShirt and ThunderEase Calming Spray